Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Baby Talk

This is something that has been on my mind lately...an ever present situation...a question that I've been asked more often...When is it our turn to have baby #2?

I have a serious debate with myself about this topic every time the conversation comes up. A part of me wants to enjoy the time that I have with Rosalie before I have to start sharing my love and attention with another child, but the other part of me wants to give her a companion...a brother or sister that will be her playmate for life.

In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned how the thought of another baby terrified me. Admittedly, it still does. I caused myself a great deal of anxiety when I was pregnant. I constantly worried about the condition of the baby and my own health. It was really tough on my nerves. It may be selfish thinking, but how will I prepare myself for that again? I remember my palms sweating at every doctor's appointment, praying that her heartbeat was still there. I remember my sleepless nights knowing that I had an ultrasound appointment the next day and I begged the Lord that they would find nothing wrong. There are times when I think I can never put myself through that again, but then I remember how miraculous the process really was and how amazing I felt when finally saw my beautiful, healthy baby girl for the first time. Seeing her face everyday reminds me how truly lucky I am that all of my prayers were answered.

I wasn't too fond of my big belly when I
had it, but it looks great in pictures! Lol
I can make a list of things that I still worry about on a daily basis. But the list of joyful things that my family brings into my life is much longer. Having a child has been an emotional roller coaster for me. One minute I can be laughing hysterically as she dances to the Mickey's Clubhouse theme song in her playpen and the next minute I can be screaming in panic as she topples over and bumps her head. Can I go through double the worry with two children? It'll probably be a struggle. But I am sure that the joy of having another child is twice as rewarding.

When is it ever a good time to get pregnant? When Anthony graduates from grad school? When I am finally promoted to the position that I'd like to be at in my career? When we finally have our house? Our aspirations are never ending. I can't imagine there would ever be a time when we'd say "THIS is the perfect time to have a baby!" Although having a baby does cost some money, we can't just base the decision on our careers or financial situation, but rather our readiness to go through the emotionally and physically demanding task of having another child.


It's obvious that I get mixed emotions when it comes to expanding our family, but the most prominent emotion I feel is excitement for the possibilities to come. My mom always says to me: "Your clock is ticking. Buildling your family comes first. All of the other stuff can come later." It always gets me thinking. So, when WILL we start trying for baby #2? I guess the best time frame I can give right now is sometime before Rosalie's 2nd birthday. Although it is exciting to imagine another precious baby girl or baby boy in our lives, I know that we have to be smart about our timing and at least get through this next year without any big surprises if we want to reach our financial goals.I'm sure that the time will come eventually, but as of today, I think we will just continue to enjoy our sweet baby Rosalie... and the longer hours of sleep we're getting.

1 comment:

  1. Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE reading your blog :)

    Anyways... here are my thoughts. Me and my middle sister are 7 years apart. I remember how I felt when she was born, and the changes that it brought to my life at that time. Before her I was the only child, and now all my parents cared about was the new baby. I think for a long time (even into my teenage years) I felt a lot of resentment towards my sister. We get along GREAT now, but growing up we NEVER got a long. So my advice would be to have baby # 2 before Rosalie is old enough to realize it :)

    ReplyDelete