Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Feeding the Family

When you have an 8-5 work schedule, it isn't always easy finding the time to put a hearty meal on the table that you didn't have to phone for. If your husband or significant other is anything like mine, he loves to eat but has no idea how to cook! Anthony always says he looks forward to coming home and seeing what's for dinner so I have to come up with new things all the time to make sure that he's getting the home cooked food that he always longs for.

One of the main reasons I started this blog is to share some of my quick and easy meal recipes that have evolved over time to adjust to my time constraints. Don't have a crock pot? GET ONE. Seriously...It can save lives! I love love LOVE my crock pot and it is so convenient for women like me who don't have time to sit around and watch water boil. I'll be posting more of my Crock Pot favorites later on but this first one is a Filipino recipe that my dad taught me and it is sure to please many.

Pork Sinigang (Crock Pot Style!)
Ingredients needed:1 Lb of Pork Spare Ribs
1 White Onion
1 Tomato
2 Packets of Mama Sita's Sinigang sa Sampalok Mix (Found at any 99 Ranch Market or asian foods store)
1 Bunch of Spinach
1 Banana Pepper (Optional)

PREPARATION:
I like to do this the night before or in the morning before I leave for work.
Chop up the Tomatoes and the Onions in circular shapes. and put them in your crock pot. Add the meat (thawed).
Add just enough water to cover the meat the the veggies. This shouldn't fill up more than half the crock pot.
Set the crock pot to Low for 8 hours and you're good to go!
After 8 hours or when you get home from work:The meat and the veggies should be cooked and very tender.
Transfer everything into a big pot and put it on the stove. Add more water if you'd like more soup in the end. Make sure your pot is not overflowing. It should be no more than 1/2 full.
Let it come to a boil then add ONE packet of the Mama Sita's sauce mix. Add more to taste if needed and stir well. (I usually end up using 1 1/2 packets)
Add the spinach last when your mixture is almost done cooking. (Make sure to wash the spinach really well before you use it).
Throw in a banana pepper for a little bit of a kick.
Serve with rice (preferably brown if you're trying to lose weight!)

And there you have it! The prep is no more than 5 minutes and the final touches should take no more than 15 minutes. The meat should be so tender that it's practically melting off of the bone., That's my favorite part about using a crock pot vs. a pressure cooker. Easy Filipino home cooking!

If anyone tries it, let me know what you think!
Finished Product

No comments:

Post a Comment